Saturday, November 20, 2021

My thoughts about wearing lolita daily, so far


So, after thinking a little, I decided to put my 5 cents about wearing lolita daily on my blog, since I love to read my old posts and see how I was back in the day. Then, let's registrate it.
I've been wearing lolita on a daily basis since the first part of the year (I don't remember what month was exactly, and actually I am not in the mood of searching right now); also, I've built a daily lolita wardrobe, and I have been wearing most of the time, more or less 5 days in a week.

The difficulties

Even having the time to wear it, having a lolita job and actually wearing it most of the time, I still think it is difficult to be 100% of the time wearing it. One of my biggest difficulties is the cleaning day; while I can wear my oldest dresses to clean the house, it is pretty much unpractical, but let's say is viable. The worst part is when I have to wash bathrooms (I heard people in other countries just wipe bathrooms, so let me explain how we do in Brazil: we really wash the thing, literally, with loads of bleach and soap and the thing is wild, not a good environment to wear lolita even if the dress is old). Washing clothes are also a pain, because I like to handwash everything, so I always end up with my dress wet.

The another difficulty that makes me sometimes skip wearing lolita is depression; I've been having good days in most of the time (thanks God this shit seems to be getting better), but there are days I don't feel like even going out of the bed, let alone put loads of concrete on my face and a petticoat. Also, when I get sick and have to be in bed, is a day I don't wear lolita.

Oooh, have I mentioned about the hair and make-up? That's a reeeeal struggle. Some days your hair isn't doing you any favors, so you have to learn different hair-dos to make it cooperate with your coord. I know some lolitas love to wear wigs, but I started to hate wigs since they make me have migraines, so I choose comfort over beauty. And I pay my price, having to make a way to my hair looks acceptable in coords. It is challenging but it pays off. 

The must haves

When I started in lolita, daily lolita was still a thing; you would see posts of how to build an entire lolita wardrobe, how to coord that half dozen pieces for a whole month, how to wear it most of the time, and so on, but today we don't see that much. We kinda focus on the it print, the most perfect coord (and that's not a criticism, lolita is really hard to wear daily). That said, even having a whole wardrobe built, I still had to build another, this time to wear daily. "But why???" you would be wondering. First of all, having a wardrobe that is mostly AP doesn't worked very well for me to wear daily - those pieces are damn expensive right now to be wearing a Puppet Circus to clean the house. Also, some prints bleed, what makes more difficult to wash them very often. Not that I don't wear them, but I avoid them in situations I know they are in "danger", like Milky Berry on a rainy day. Because of this, I bought many Bodyline pieces for my Daily Lolita, and while they are simple, they are very good to wear (and the nice quality!), easy to wash, and as they don't have lining, they are perfect for the brazilian hot weather.

Also, you will have to predict every situation. "When it is hot, it is too hot to wear a blouse underneath, so what do we do"? Or "when it is cold, but very cold to wear just a coat", or "not so cold to wear a coat, but just the blouse isn't enough", or "it is raining, I need clothes for rainy situations and a pair of rain boots" - can you get it? You always end up needing to have an army of tops and socks to make the coords work out. Have I told you about the petticoats and the shoes? You will have to own some. Or many... I heard people talking how much bullshit is to stick in one substyle only, but having myself wearing many of them, I can assure you you will need to spend more money to make your wardrobe cohesive. It seems like a never ending task.

You will also have to learn how to wash clothes, but as I know it from the start of my lolita journey, it is not a problem for me personally. But you always will feel butterflies inside the stomach when the dress start to bleed red, doesn't matter how many years have passed in lolita.

A rainbow of bloomers is also desirable. You would not want anyone seeing your Hello Kitty panties while going inside a bus.

Another must-have is patience. There will be a time when you will get sick to be asked every five minutes if there is going to have a play, coming from a mom that wasn't even going to take their child to that play if it was happening in the first place; or someone asking where is the cosplay convention, or just someone being unpolite and unconvenient. Patience to not slap someone in the face for being rude and end up in the police station wearing Sugary Carnival. After all, we are humans, and someone being unconvenient can be the last straw somedays.

The good side

Well, public bathrooms aren't really the best part of being a daily lolita, but every time I go to one I receive a compliment from someone, that's really magical. Walking in front of stores' windows and stores' mirrors always make wonders to my self-esteem, and I really feel very good wearing lolita, despite all the trouble. I think although all the work and the money we invest to this style, it really pays off doing what you like and wearing what you want. Also, it boosts your confidence, so the more you wear, more confident you become to keep wearing it.

In the end, we all are going to die someday, and just knowing I have done all that I wanted to, makes me think I will go to the after life with not a single regret. And that is priceless.

What about you? Do you wear lolita daily? What are your struggles? Or, if you wanted to wear, what is keeping you from doing it?

4 comments:

  1. Gostei muito da postagem. De um modo geral, eu gosto desse tipo de publicação. Amo saber como é a vida lolita, digamos assim, das pessoas. Acho bem interessante.
    Em 2011 teve uma época em que eu fiquei louca para ser a tão sonhada "lolita lifestyle". Achava (e ainda acho) a coisa mais mágica. Atualmente eu ainda quero usar lolita mais vezes, mas não todo dia, pois além de certas inconveniências diárias (como algumas que você mencionou) eu também gosto de outros estilos. O que me impede por enquanto de usar mais são algumas coisas. Entre elas o investimento financeiro e o fato da minha cidade ser extremamente quente. Geralmente o clima só esfria quando chove (talvez vocês nem chamem isso de frio kkkkk mas pra gente já é), então quem mora aqui e quer usar lolita mais vezes durante o dia tem que se preparar para esse nosso clima meio doido. Às vezes o sol está torrando, aí do nada o tempo fecha e cai um temporal. Isso sem falar em quem precisa pegar ônibus diariamente, imagina quando ele vem lotado... É meio complicado. Mas já pensei bastante em coisas que são necessárias para poder usar lolita com mais frequência.
    Foi bem legal você compartilhar sua experiência!

    ReplyDelete
  2. que post magnifico Ana *---* estou um tempo sem comentar mas sempre vejo suas postagens, são elas que me anima na semana quando se trata do estilo.

    Realmente parece muito complicado usar diariamente, um dia queria pelo menos usar umas 3x na semana pq adoro lolitar, sabia q era difícil mas n imaginava que tinha tantos pontos assim. Obrigada pelo o seu relato de usar diariamente!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!
I love reading your comments! They make my day and make me inspired to post new things!