Wednesday, September 14, 2022

The inspiring Lolita outfits in Gokinjo Monogatari Anime



Gokinjo Monogatari, also translated as Neighborhood Story, is a manga (and soon later, an anime and an anime film) by Yazawa Ai. The manga was published between 1995 and 1998, and had an anime adaptation that aired between 1995 and 1996. The story goes around two childhood friends, Mikako Kouda and Tsutomu Yamaguchi, who happen to be neighbors since forever, and also their relationship with their nearest circle of family and friends in the neighborhood and in the school they attend, and everyone's evolution to the adult life and daily struggles, like carreer, dreams, studies and love. As I watched only the anime, I will talk about what I saw.

I am not a very anime person, but when we speak about a lolita character in an anime, my curiosity gets unbearable. That's the thing here: we have a lolita character in this anime! Mostly know as "P-chan", Oota Mai is present in most episodes and, gasp! with different outfits!

Of course that the anime isn't centered about lolita, but I love how Yazawa portrays the style in the anime, not making only one outfit, but MANY! It is very interesting to see how the different medias portrays lolita fashion, and Gokinjo Monogatari is an enormous treasure because it shows a little bit of how oldschool lolita was perceived at that time (1995-1996).


Talking about P-chan without giving spoilers is a very difficult task, so I will focus on show her outfits rather than saying anything. One curiosity: the "P" nickname is given to her because of the high pitch in her voice, that sounds like a whistle. P-chan is excellent in making stuffed animals (no spoilers here), and she is always with her bunny, Petite Françoise.
She is seen in some episodes wearing a long plaid dress, and in others a cute mini skirt, but these are the exceptions, because most of the time she is seen wearing lolita fashion.
I really got kinda obsessed with her while watching, and I realized she wore bloomers-like shorts for the physical education classes and she even wears cute room wear to sleep and her room is so adorably lolified, help!
 P-chan's signature outfits consists in bucket hats, or berets, usually dresses, mary jane shoes or boots. P-chan also styles her hair in the same way everyday, which is much practical for someone who wears lolita everyday. Her dresses are simple, as the dresses lolitas wore in that time.
I tried to print screen the different outfits just for reference ^^  Enjoy!











I hope it be useful for someone in the future who may be searching for lolitas in animes!

2 comments:

  1. I like everyone in that anime has their own style. I take daily inspiration from many characters by Ai Yazawa, but those stuck with me most, so it´s nice seeing so many screens at one place :). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!
I love reading your comments! They make my day and make me inspired to post new things!